Friday, 22 May 2026 Facebook Twitter YouTube RSS
Menu SECTION
Search Search Theme
Judge Extends Pause on Maryland Detention Plan
Illuminated Magazine > Politics > Judge Extends Pause on Maryland Detention Plan
POLITICS

Judge Extends Pause on Maryland Detention Plan

Court halts Maryland detention facility conversion.

Eddie Dalton
By Eddie Dalton — Technology enthusiast
Last updated: April 16, 2026 12:00 am • 4 Min Read
Share Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

Court halts Maryland detention facility conversion.

<body>

<h2>Maryland Detention Facility Pause Extended by Federal Judge</h2>

<p>Maryland Detention Facility Pause Extended by Federal Judge Work to convert a Maryland warehouse into an immigration detention facility is put on hold by the judge. As federal immigration officials examine a plan to put tens of thousands of people in converted industrial buildings, a federal judge on Wednesday extended a halt to the conversion of a large Maryland warehouse into an immigration processing facility. In January, the Department of Homeland Security bought the 825,000-square-foot (76,645-square-meter) building outside Hagerstown, Maryland, for $102.4 million. The Maryland warehouse was scheduled to be one of the first to open out of the 11 bought across the country. It could hold between 500 and 1,500 inmates. But the federal government has met such strong opposition across the country that Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin is looking at the warehouse proposal again. The state sued, even though authorities in Washington County signed a proclamation saying they would "unwaveringly support" DHS and Immigration and Customs Enforcement.</p>

<h2>Legal Problems and Environmental Issues</h2>

<p>Legal Problems and Environmental Issues Problems with the law and the environment The complaint in Maryland said that the federal government didn't do the environmental studies that were required. It argued that the building is in a flood plain and that the federal government didn't ask the public for their thoughts on its plans until more than a month after the building was bought. Before the public comment period ended on March 5, a number of groups voiced their concerns. But the lawsuit alleged that Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which had a lot of money from a big legislative authorization, signed a $113 million contract the next day to fix up the building. The work was supposed to be done by May 4. In the end, a federal judge imposed a short-term temporary restraining order that stopped construction to adapt the structure. The judge consented to a longer-term preliminary injunction after a hearing on Wednesday. This means that only restricted work, such putting up a fence and fixing the heating and cooling, can be done until the dispute is over.</p>

<h2>Responses from Officials and the Community</h2>

<p>Responses from Officials and the Community What officials and the community said DHS said in a statement that it strongly disagrees with the decision. The statement said, "Let's be honest about what's going on." "This has nothing to do with the environment." It's about attempting to block President Trump from keeping the country safe. The federal government had already acknowledged in a court filing that "ICE is rethinking the plans and scope of the warehouse." Maryland Governor Wes Moore said the preliminary injunction was a "major and welcome step forward." Maryland Attorney General Anthony Brown said that this shows that "no one, not even the federal government, is above the law." Matthew Schindler, a Maryland state delegate who has also spoken out against the warehouse, that the immigration officials' strategy was "outpacing accountability." He went on to say, "We don't want to see our community suffer because of short cuts."</p>

<h2>Broader Opposition and National Impact</h2>

<p>Broader Opposition and National Impact More opposition and effects on the whole country The Maryland action is one of three that are still going on in federal court. Officials in other places have tried to stop warehouse conversions by saying that the water and sewage systems aren't good enough. Kyle McCarthy of Hagerstown Rapid Response, which is against the project, said, "Washington County has become basically ground zero for all these warehouse fights." "We've helped show other communities how to fight these and stop them from happening." We've been putting sand in the gears whenever we can.</p>

</body>

You May Also Like